Slow Roast Chicken
From Good Food by Adam Liaw
- 3 large brown onions, cut into wedges
- 1 free-range chicken (about 1.7kg)
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 100g butter, softened
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp parsley
- Heat your oven to 150C.
- Cover the base of a heavy roasting pan with the onion.
- Cut a couple of deep slits into the drumstick of the chicken to sever the long tendons that run along the drumsticks.
- Mix together the chopped anchovies, capers and butter and rub all over the chicken, inside and out.
- Squeeze over the lemon and place the squeezed wedges into the chicken cavity. Season the chicken with the salt and place it on top of the onion.
- Roast the chicken for three hours (basting with the pan juices a few times during the cooking process), then remove the chicken and rest for 15 minutes. If the skin of the chicken needs a little more browning, increase the heat of the oven to 220C and return the chicken to the top of the onions to cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the skin is well browned.
- Serve the chicken immediately, scattered with parsley along with the buttery caramelised onions.