Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken
From Gimme Some Oven
- 1-1.5kg boneless skinless chicken breast and thigh fillets
- 1 bottle beer (or chicken stock, if you do not like to cook with alcohol)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder (or 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-4 fresh limes
- Add the chicken, beer, onion, garlic, chipotle, cumin, black pepper, chilli powder, and salt to the bowl of a large slow cooker. Gently toss to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the chicken is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- Once the chicken is cooked, preheat your grill to high heat and grease one large baking sheet with cooking spray. Use a fork to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the prepared baking sheet, spreading the chicken in an even layer and leaving the juices behind in the slow cooker. (Don't discard the juices, we're going to use them later!)
- Place one sheet under the grill, 2 racks down from the very top, and grill for about 5-6 minutes, or until the edges of the chicken begin browning and crisping up. Remove the sheet from the oven, then ladle about 1/2 cup of the juices from the slow cooker evenly over the chicken, and then give it a good toss with some tongs so that the chicken is evenly coated with the juices. Grill for an additional 5 minutes to get the meat more crispy. Then remove and ladle an additional 1/2 cup of broth over the crispy chicken. Grill for an additional 5 minutes. Then remove sheet from the oven, and toss chicken with the remaining broth. Then drizzle with however much fresh lime juice you'd like and toss once more to combine.
Serve immediately in tacos, burritos, salads, or whatever sounds good to you. This chicken can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months.