Based on the recipe from the Delia Collection - Italian.
Make Ragu before making your lasagna and then try and make this the day before serving. Keep it in the fridge overnight to stiffen and solidify the bechamel layers before serving.
- 250g lasagne sheets (I usually use 4-8 depending on size)
- 1 quantity Ragu
- 200g mozzarella, diced
- 55g parmesan, grated
For the cream sauce
- 750ml milk
- 87g butter
- 55g plain flour
- 87ml double cream
Make the bechamel sauce
- Place the milk, butter, flour and some seasoning in a saucepan.
- Place this over a gentle heat and whisk continuously until the sauce comes to simmering point and thickens.
- Then with the heat as low as possible, continue to cook the sauce for about 10 minutes
- After that sieve the sauce into a pouring jug, beat in the cream and season if required
Assemble and cook the lasagna
- Spread a quarter of the ragu over the base of the dish
- Cover this with one fifth of the sauce, followed by a quarter of the mozzarella, then a single layer of the lasagne on top
- Repeat this proces three more times finishing with a final layer of the sauce.
- Cover the lot with parmesan
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C and put the lasagna on the top shelf for 45-50 minutes
- For best results make the day before, let the lasagna cool and then reheat it before eating.