From BBC Good Food
- 500g bag farfalle
- 50g butter, plus a little extra
- 200g small mushroom, halved
- bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 140g thickly cut ham, chopped
- 140g mature cheddar, grated
- Peas, optional extra - just add to the sauce before mixing with the pasta and mushrooms
- Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, then drain.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6
- Melt a little butter in a large saucepan. Fry the mushrooms for a couple of mins, then scoop out and set aside. Use some kitchen paper to wipe out the pan.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan, then add most of the onions and soften for 1 min. Stir in the flour for another min, then gradually stir in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Increase the heat and bubble the sauce, stirring for a few mins to thicken. Turn off the heat, stir in the ham and most of the cheese, then season to taste.
- Tip the pasta and mushrooms into a large ovenproof dish, then pour over the sauce and mix well in the dish. Scatter over the remaining cheese and spring onions, then bake for 10 mins until golden.