From Jill Dupleix in Good Food
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8 chicken pieces
- 4 thick rashers rindless bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, halved and finely sliced
- 250g small mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 100ml dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream
- sea salt and pepper
- 50g baby spinach
- 1 tsp paprika
- Melt the butter and oil in a strong frying pan and fry the chicken for 5 minutes on each side until golden.
- Remove to a warm plate, and add the bacon and onion to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and thyme, tossing well, then add the wine and bay leaves.
- Boil for 2 minutes, then return the chicken to the pan and add the stock.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. If you find it too soupy, simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, remove the chicken to a warm plate, and whisk the cream and mustard, salt and pepper into the mushrooms over gentle heat.
- Return the chicken to the pan, scatter with baby spinach and heat through. Dust with paprika and serve.