Based on Nigel Slater’s Hot Chicken Cakes
- 70g fresh white breadbrumbs
- 500g minced chicken
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 3 heaped tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the breadcrumbs, chicken and chopped bacon into a mixing bowl.
- Grate the lemon zest in with the chicken and bacon, then halve and squeeze the lemon. Add the lemon juice to the mixture with the roughly chopped thyme leaves.
- Tip in the grated parmesan.
- Season the mixture with a little salt, then more generously with black pepper. Mix thoroughly
- Shape the mixture into small balls or patties.
- Warm the olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Fry them in the oil, in groups, for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp and golden-brown on all sides. Lower the heat and leave to cook through to the middle, about 6-8 minutes more. I tend to turn them no more than once or twice during cooking so they develop a crisp, slightly sticky exterior
- Remove the cakes from the pan and place on toasted buns, add a dollop of mayonnaise and cheese if required. Serve with chips.