Banana Ice Cream
From page 56 of 'Wicked' by Geoff Lindsay
- 205g Caster Sugar
- 250ml Milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 250ml thin cream
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- Slowly bring 80g of the sugar and 80ml of water to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 minute, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside to cool.
- Roast the whole bananas, in their skins, for 20 minutes at 200C.
- Place the milk in the saucepan and bring to the boil
- In a bowl whisk the remaining (125g) sugar and egg yolks together until pale and thick. Slowly poor in the hot milk, stirring constantly. Return to the saucepan, stirring, until the custard coats the back of spoon. Whisk in the cream and set aside to cool.
- When the bananas are cool enough to handle peel and puree them with the sugar syrup.
- Fold the banana mixture into the custard base and poor into an ice cream maker.